Monday, April 7, 2014

Book Review: A Game of Thrones



A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

A Game of Thrones is the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. It takes place in Westeros, which I imagine to be much like medieval Europe, and follows several families on their quest for the Iron Throne.

I’m just going to come out and say that I’m so glad I watched the first season of the HBO series before reading this 800 page epic.  There are so many characters, and Martin’s writing is so descriptive, that keeping everybody straight can be challenging.  I had never thought of myself as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan, but I really enjoyed the storylines (especially those involving Arya Stark and Tyrion Lannister).  Although the writing can be very violent and sexually graphic, the novel is well worth the read.

I give this book an A-.

If you liked this book, the second book in the series is A Clash of Kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment