Thursday, February 27, 2014

For Your Consideration: The 2014 Academy Awards!! (Part 1)


Awards Season is almost to an end, with the biggest awards yet to be given: The Oscars!

This is my most favorite of all the awards shows, and I have to say that I'm very much looking forward to it this year (just like every year!).

There is some really amazing competition this year too.

Here's the list of contenders. And my thoughts on who might be taking that shiny man home (I'll put an asterisk by my choice for who I think should win. And there could be more than one asterisk per category. Because I can.)


OSCAR NOMINATIONS 2014, COMPLETE LIST

Best Picture:

American Hustle* (This could take it, just because of it's popularity.)

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Her

Nebraska
 

 Philomena

12 Years a Slave* (Factoring in acting, directing, writing, cinematography, costumes/makeup, and score,  I think this is all around the best film nominated this year.)

The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Supporting Actor:

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips

Bradley Cooper, American Hustle

Jonah Hill, The Wolf of Wall Street

Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave *(Fassbender is fantastically horrible as an extremely abusive plantation owner.)

Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club * (Leto give an amazing performance as a transgendered woman and is completely unrecognizable.)

Best Supporting Actress:

Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle *(J-Law is my second choice, but I have a feeling she'll win it. She was great, as usual, but as much as I love her, I think Lupita Nyong'o really should win.)

Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave * (Newbie Lupita Nyong'o was beyond amazing in this. She deserves to win. Hands down.)

Julia Roberts, August: Osage County **(If I had a third choice, it would be Julia Roberts. I've never seen her like she was in this role. If the competition wasn't so strong she'd get it for sure, but sadly for her, she's up against some amazing performances this year.)

June Squibb, Nebraska 

Best Director:

David O. Russell, American Hustle

Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity

Alexander Payne, Nebraska

Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave *(He just really deserves this one. What a performance!)

Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Actor: (This is such a hard category. Really, they all deserve it.)

Christian Bale, American Hustle 


Bruce Dern, Nebraska *(I'm just going with Bruce Dern as a close second though because , well, he's Bruce Dern!)

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave *  (He really was amazing as a free man kidnapped and sold into slavery.)

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress: (Possibly the hardest category. Can't they all win?)

Amy Adams, American Hustle

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine * (I have not seen this, but according to those who have, she was better than Meryl Streep. I didn't know that was possible!)

Sandra Bullock, Gravity

Judi Dench, Philomena

Meryl Streep, August: Osage County * (Holy Moly!! This crazy pill popping lady! Just fantastic!)

Best Original Screenplay:

American Hustle

Blue Jasmine

Dallas Buyers Club

Her*
(Just so different than anything I've seen in a long time.)

Nebraska


Best Adapted Screenplay:

Before Midnight

Captain Phillips

Philomena

12 Years a Slave*

The Wolf Of Wall Street
 

Best Animated Feature:

The Croods

Despicable Me 2*
(My second choice, because it was also very well done.)

Ernest & Celestine

Frozen*
(Just really well done, Disney.)

The Wind Rises


Best Foreign Feature: (I can't give my opinion here, because I haven't seen any of these films.)

The Broken Circle Breakdown, Belgium

The Great Beauty, Italy

The Hunt, Denmark

The Missing Picture, Cambodia

Omar, Palestine

Best Visual Effects: (Really, it's between everything but The Lone Ranger. Not that it wasn't entertaining, I just don't think the visual effects were on the same level as the other nominees in this category.)

Gravity

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug*

Iron Man 3

The Lone Ranger

Star Trek Into Darkness


Best Cinematography:

The Grandmaster

Gravity

Inside Llewyn Davis * 
(The Coen Brothers. Their films are always gorgeous.)

Nebraska * 
(B&W. Need I say more?)

Prisoners 


Best Costume Design: (Total toss up... the costuming was great in all of these films.)

American Hustle*

The Grandmaster

The Great Gatsby*

The Invisible Woman

12 Years a Slave *

 
SNUB ALERT: Where is The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug in this category?
 





Best Documentary Feature: (I can't give my opinion here, because I have seen none of these films...)

The Act of Killing

Cutie and the Boxer

Dirty Wars

The Square

20 Feet from Stardom


Best Documentary Short: (I can't give my opinion here, because I have seen none of these films either...)

CaveDigger

Facing Fear

Karama Has No Walls

The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life

Prisoner Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall


Best Film Editing: (It's another toss up... )

American Hustle*

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

12 Years a Slave*


Best Makeup and Hairstyling:

Dallas Buyers Club *

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa * 
(Who would have thought the Jackass guys would ever be nominated for an Oscar?! I kinda just want to see what they'd do if they win.)

The Lone Ranger

SNUB ALERT: Where is The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug in this category as well?

Best Music (Original Score):

The Book Thief

Gravity

Her


Philomena

Saving Mr. Banks*
(Because the music behind the music behind Mary Poppins. That's why.)

Best Music (Original Song):

"Alone Yet Not Alone" from Alone Yet Not Alone

 
"Happy" from  Despicable Me 2

"Let It Go" from Frozen * (Incredible lyrics + Idina Menzel's voice. Done.)

“The Moon Song”  from Her

"Ordinary Love” from Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom* (Um... it's U2. It has a pretty good chance, too, I suppose...)


So... who do you think will take home Oscar this year?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment