Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Book Review: Divergent


 
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Beatrice “Tris” Prior lives in dystopian Chicago, where, at the age of 16, children have to choose which of the five factions, or societies based on specific virtues,  they will remain a part of for the rest of their lives. Tris shocks her family by leaving her home in Abnegation, known for selflessness, for the brave and sometimes reckless ways of life in Dauntless. There she is pushed to her limits, finds a possible romance, and discovers a secret that could put her and many others in danger.

Being a huge fan of The Hunger Games, this book was right up my alley! I really enjoyed the story, even if it was a bit predictable. With Spring Break right around the corner, I recommend Divergent if you’re looking for something adventurous, yet quick to read.

I give this a B+.

If you liked this book, I suggest the sequel, Insurgent. The third book, Allegiant, is also out now, but I can honestly say it ticked me off like you wouldn't believe! My husband even said he wished Veronica Roth had never even written it. Not that it wasn't good, just not the direction I would have gone with the story.
Also the movie version of Divergent comes out in theaters next week (3/21). I'll be reviewing at after I see it with my book club, so stay tuned for THAT one, since we ALL know the movie is never as good as the book, and they'll probably completely botch this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment