Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Review: The House at Riverton


 
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
In England in the 1910's, 14 year old Grace goes to work at Riverton, the large country estate belonging to the Hartford family. As she gets older, she becomes the ladies maid, and confidant, to Lord Hartford's daughter. Now, at age 98, Grace must recall secrets she's kept for the family all these years, including events surrounding the night in 1924, when a famous poet committed suicide at Riverton.

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, this is the book for you. Although some aspects were slightly predictable, I really enjoyed the story, and the relationships between the English upper-class and the people who work for them.

I give this book a B.

If you liked this book, I definitely recommend The Forgotten Garden, also by Kate Morton.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read for us Downton fans! I love historical fiction. Add in some mystery and I am hooked! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is an adult novel, right? I do love Downton Abbey, so I might give it a try! On this same vein of period piece crime novels, you should also check out "Gods of Gotham" by Lindsay Faye

    ReplyDelete